Hello all! I have something different for you today – especially if you are an aspiring writer. I was lucky to get the chance to review an online writing course. Here’s what I thought!
Save the Cat! Cracking the Beat Sheet
Save the Cat! provides writers the resources they need to develop their screenplays and novels based on a series of best-selling books, primarily written by Blake Snyder (1957- 2009). Blake’s method is based on 10 distinctive genres and his 15 story beats (the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet). The books, workshops, story structure software, apps, and story coaching teach you everything you need to unlock the fundamentals and mechanics of plot and character transformation.
About the Save the Cat! Cracking the Beat Sheet Online Course
This course is designed for writers to turn their idea into a movie or novel. This learn-at-your-own-pace online class helps you develop the 15 key “beats” or “plot points” of your story. Strung together, in the right order, these 15 beats make up the blueprint to a successful screenplay or novel.
Ok, so I can’t say I’ve written a novel as of yet but I really liked the structure this course provides.If you are someone like me who usually tries to rush to the end goal and struggles with the bits in-between, the course will help you pace yourself and pull out those key details that will be important to your final piece.
I also found the course good for giving me that kick in the behind to start things. I’m always full of excuses that I have nothing to write or I don’t know how but by taking each piece at a time, I was able to unravel things and feel accomplished in at least making a start.
The Course Teaches You To…
• Create a solid beat sheet that will serve as the road map, and “backbone” of your story
• Identify and know the key components of your story genre • Learn the clichés of your genre so that you can break them like an artist
• Plot your hero’s journey and “transformation”
• Troubleshoot your story idea for viability
• Write a compelling logline or elevator pitch
This Course Includes…
• Over 3 hours and 17 minutes of original video production
• 9 downloadable worksheets • 3 reading assignments (book not included)
• 4 homework assignments
The course costs $59 and you can sign up here.